Falmoro Demon

April 4th, 2016

Joshua Zaback

Exotic Encounters Archive

                As you likely know, demons have a special ability that allows them to summon more demons. It sounds like a pretty cool thing, but mostly it just provides a chance to seriously aggravate your players by suddenly making fights twice as hard, and usually, demon summoning turns out to be kind of boring. So what if there was a monster that had a giant portal that demons streamed through? Wouldn’t that be cool?! I thought so, too. The falmoro makes a great boss monster, summoning forth endless monsters for the PCs to battle, or it could even be a supporting beast in a very high-level fight, forcing the PCs to kill him before he attacks.


Falmoro (Summoning Demon)

                This lumbering giant appears to be a massive sphere of orange-brown flesh, sprouting six muscular clawed limbs. It stands upon two of these limbs at a time, and has six eyes, each positioned between its huge arms, and its spherical body is split by a large toothy mouth which opens in a ring, with dozens of tendrils which writhe and undulate inside, somehow producing a sort of terrible music. As you watch, its horrible mouth is filled with hellish light, filling you with a sense of foreboding.

FALMORO                                                                            CR 17
XP 102,400
CE Huge outsider (chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar)
Init +3; Senses darkvision 120 ft.; Perception +20


AC 33, touch 7, flat-footed 33 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +25 natural armor)
hp 247 (15d10 +165)
Fort +17, Ref +10, Will +13
Defensive Abilities DR 10/cold iron and good; Immune electricity, poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10, fire 10; SR 28


Speed 60 ft., climb 30 ft.
Melee 4 claws +25 (2d6 +12 plus grab) and bite +25 (3d6 +18)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks abyssal portal, send through


Str 34, Dex 8, Con 30, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 6
Base Atk +15; CMB +29; CMD 38
Feats Great Fortitude, Improved Natural Attack (bite, claw), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Toughness
Skills Acrobatics +17, Intimidate +16, Perception +20, Sense Motive +20
Languages  Abyssal, Celestial, and Draconic; telepathy 100 ft.


Environment any
Organization solitary
Treasure standard


Abyssal Portal (Su): A falmoro can create a portal to the Abyss within its open maw as a standard action. Once open, the falmoro can maintain the open portal as a free action. Each round, there is 50% chance that one or more demons crawls through the portal to attack the falmoro’s enemies. The type of demon which comes through the portal is determined randomly, with a 25% chance that 1d10 vrocks are summoned, a 25% chance that 1d4 hezrous are summoned, a 25% chance that 1d3 glabrezus are summoned, and a 25% chance that 1d2 nalfeshnees are summoned. The demons summoned by this ability are obligated to obey the falmoro’s telepathic commands for 1 minute, after which time the summoned demons are free to act as they will. Unlike demons summoned in the normal way, demons summoned through the portal can use their summon abilities after the 1 minute has expired. Once free to act as they please, demons summoned by this ability typically attack the falmoro in order to prevent rival demons from coming through the portal, and to prevent the falmoro from dragging them back into the Abyss, a practice the capricious demon often employs simply for the fun of watching its fellows be denied hope of freedom. A falmoro can keep this portal open for up to 10 minutes per day, which need not be spent consecutively, but must be spent in 1-minute increments.

Send Through (Ex): A falmoro can hurl grappled creatures into its mouth in order to send them to the Abyss while its portal is open. Whenever the falmoro successfully maintains a grapple while the portal is open, he can hurl the grappled creature into the portal to the Abyss. A creature hurled into the portal can attempt a Will save (DC 15) to resist the effect; otherwise, she is transported to a random location on the Abyss.

                As long as the portal remains open, a creature can leap into the falmoro’s mouth in order to follow a character which has been transported in this way. Leaping through an open portal is a standard action which provokes attacks of opportunity.



                A falmoro is a terrible demonic entity that first formed within a rift in the Abyss which bordered a portion of Hell. The strange entity seems to be eternally connected to the Abyss, and is capable of creating a magical field which allows travel between the Abyss and other realms. Some scholars claim the falmoro was created as a weapon for the demonic forces in their eternal wars with devilkind. Indeed, many falmoros wander the parts of Hell which closely border the Abyss and summon forth demonic armies which constantly pour through. As a result, these creatures are hated by devils of all kinds, and are often attacked by them as top priorities, limiting their effectiveness.

                A typical falmoro is an engine of both malice and confusion. They summon forth demonic beasts to devastate and slay their foes and wreak havoc upon the worlds they invade. Falmoros also take great delight in commanding those demons, and then killing them or hurling them back into the pit from whence they came in order to display dominance. On the other hand, they also revel in those that escape, knowing such creatures go on to perpetuate mayhem.